Sunday, May 29, 2011

Where did the Fat go? Answers from Dr. Brueck MD

Dr. Robert J. Brueck, a Board Certified Plastic surgeon in Fort Myers, comments on news about liposuction.

When someone comes in for a liposuction consult I am often asked, "Will the fat go somewhere else?

My usual response was, "No. It’s gone, never to return." But a recent study may call into question that response.

Researchers at the University of Colorado in Denver did a randomized controlled trial of liposuction in 32 non-obese, healthy women. These women had several areas of body fat measured in circumference. After all the patients were measured, they were assigned to one of two groups. One group of 14 women had small volume liposuction performed. The other group had lipo after the study was complete.

Measurements were taken at 6 weeks, 6 months and at one year. To everyone’s surprise, the thigh area remained reduced however the abdominal area grew in size. More studies need to be done. But it is food for thought.

I know, in my clinical experience, this has not been the case, but then again, I don’t do detailed measurements post-lipo. I have yet to have a patient tell me, "You know my hips are better but my belly is bigger."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home